-->

Sunday, October 20, 2013

Operation Christmas Child: A Lesson in Giving

 
 
This weekend my two oldest children (ages 6 and 3) started celebrating Christmas a little early... I wanted my children to pack shoeboxes for Operation Christmas Child, a ministry of Samaritan's Purse. My children have never known what it means to need anything and not be able to get it, nor have they ever experienced a Christmas morning where their stockings weren't overflowing and gifts spilling out from underneath the tree. My love language is definitely giving gifts, but even though I enjoy lavishing my children with treats, I also know that it is important to teach them the blessing of giving and not always receiving. I thought this shoebox project would be a great opportunity to teach them just that.
 
So off we went to the $1 store so we could get the most bang for our buck when it came to filling these gift boxes. We purchased several small toys that would fit in a small box (you don't have to use a shoebox; you can use a small storage box instead if you prefer).  
 

 
We also put in small toiletry items: mild soap, washcloths, toothpaste, hand wipes, and a toothbrush.

 
We put art supplies in each box as well.


 
Once the boxes were packed, I wrote a short note on an index card and enclosed a picture of my child in the appropriate box. My son made a box for a three-year-old boy and my daughter made a box for a six-year-old girl.

 
To print your shoebox labels and get more information, go to: http://www.samaritanspurse.org/operation-christmas-child/pack-a-shoe-box/
 
National Collection Week is November 18-25 2013!

 
Last night we prayed for the children who would receive these gift and this morning we brought our boxes to church, which is also a collection site for Operation Christmas Child. 
 
While we were at the $1 store yesterday, I wanted my children to have happy hearts the entire time and not desire to have all of the toys to keep for themselves. My oldest did pretty well... She did ask for a few items and I had to remind her that we were there to shop for another child that day. My three year old did not take correction quite so smoothly... He was screaming and throwing a tantrum in the middle of The Dollar Tree for all of the other customers to see. For any of you momma's out there reading this blog, you know the feeling (or if you don't yet, you will!) of having a child having a meltdown in the middle of a store. Not Fun. But I did feel it was an incredible teaching opportunity to continue to repeat to Ethan that he could ask for these items that he was picking out for Christmas and perhaps he would receive them, but on this day we were Christmas shopping for another child. He did not really like that response, but oh well... maybe he will do better next time. I think we will plan to do it again next year!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment