-->

Sunday, October 20, 2013

Fabulous Family Fall Days in North Georgia

This morning was a beautiful, crisp Fall morning here in North Georgia. I do believe October may be my favorite month of the year. Pumpkin patches, hayrides, apple farms, cool mornings, I love it all! We started a few fall traditions when Hannah was a baby that we have kept up for the past five years. My husband, children, and I all look forward to our annual visits to Burt's Pumpkin Patch in Dawsonville and to the apple houses in Ellijay.
 
Last weekend was our annual trip up to the mountains for our fun-filled day of Fall fun. We had a great time. Now the reality of it is, that we were making this trip with our six month old baby.... oh, and our potty training three year old (these places just have port-a-potties)...and oh yeah, our beautiful, but emotional six year old. So the day had its ups and it had its downs. But overall, it was a wonderful day that was full of happy memories.
 
 
This is my Ethan posing in front of the pumpkins. Look at that happy face!

 
This is my precious Hannah. You would never know from her smile in this shot that three minutes later she would be pouting and telling me that, "Today I just don't feel like smiling Mommy." Great.

 
And this is Joshua. I don't think the pumpkins made a great first impression...

 
He decided that the mulch was pretty cool though. Awesome.

 
So I really wanted a picture of all three of my kids together and smiling at the pumpkin patch. This is basically an impossible task I decided. We got about 50 shots that looked like the above photo.

 
Ok, finally I settled on this. I mean, what can you do? Lol.
 
After our morning in Dawsonville, we headed up to Ellijay to visit the apple houses (apple donuts, apple cider, apple pies, picking apples, yum, yum, yum!).
 
We got stuck in a ton of traffic and the potty training three year old just could not wait. He had his first experience peeing in a cup. In a moving car. Oh my goodness, I just became "that mom." Wow, I will never judge again! Haha. He was pretty proud of himself though! Don said that Ethan was one step closer to becoming a man. Ethan beamed. Great.
 
We eventually made it to BJ Reece's Apple Orchard where we picked a bushel of apples.




 
Yes, I can always pick up a bag of apples at Publix at my weekly grocery visits, but I can't get cute shots like this at Publix (I think I may get some strange looks if I whip out my DSLR in the produce aisle as my kids pick apples off the shelf, agreed?).



We got home a little later than anticipated, tired, and dirty from a day outside. Sometimes outings like this may seem intimidating or overwhelming to try to conquer with young children. My advice: Do it anyway. The time will pass anyway and I want my children to remember the adventures we had together even when they are young rather than waiting until they are older. Yes, there may be some added challenges. But those will be the memories that you will look back on and laugh the hardest.

For those of you who live near North Georgia, here are a few places I would recommend that you make a part of your family's Fall traditions:
  • Burt's Pumpkin Patch, Dawsonville, GA (Pick Pumpkins, Ride Hayride)
  • Pick Apples in Ellijay (BJ Reece's, Hillcrest Farms, R & A Orchards are some of our favorites).
  • Eat apple donuts at Hillcrest Farms!
  • Get apple cider from an apple house.
  • Try a delicious apple pie from R & A Orchards.
  • Let your child drink out of an apple sipper cup at R & A Orchards or Hillcrest Farms.
  • Spend time at a petting zoo at BJ Reece's or Hillcrest Farms.
  • Do a corn maze (During the Day!!).
This year I also went with my daughter on a field trip to Jaemor Farms in Alto, GA. This was my first time to this farm, but it was great, and I would highly recommend it to people living nearby. There was a HUGE pumpkin patch, a hayride, a beehive, apple orchard, a super slide, duck races, etc. Truly fun for the whole family.
 
Happy Fall, Y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment